Friday, May 19, 2017

Nostalgia

A gentle, smooth breeze fell from violet heavens, tossing up jade green grass that swayed at the disturbance. A short, amber haired woman sat up from the tall, thick carpet of grass. Her posture was sturdy but as the last sliver of the dying sun retreated beyond the horizon, she melted back down. Her knees flattened the grass underneath them, leaving a sticky green residue. As her hands cupped her eyes, tears fell in the basins of her palms only to seep from between her fingers and fall to grass like rain. A tall female figure entered with dirty blond hair,  charred at the edges, tangled at the nape of her neck. She approached the shorter, kneeling down. She brought her finger to she shorter’s chin raising it so that they could meet eyes. The amber haired woman’s eyes were puffy and red. As she recognized the taller her silent sobs became exasperated cries, gaining volume. With worry, the blonde woman tried to soothe and calm the other, to no avail. The amber haired maiden suddenly hugged the taller woman’s waist and nuzzled her face into the other’s breast, cries diminishing back to voiceless hiccups.

The taller woman stroked the amber hair of her partner in the empty field, it was smooth as silk. She weaved her fingers through as if it were cat’s fur. Every breath the two took was in harmony from inhale to exhale.

“Why, after all we’ve been through you act as though I am a stranger,” the tall dame’s voice was motherly, and smooth.

“I-I thought you were gone… I thought I’d never get you back,” grip tightening, the amber haired woman’s voice seemed to choke from her throat. “Who’s to say this isn’t a dream, Who’s to say you aren’t here.”

“Try as you might you can’t get rid of me,” with sincerity, the blonde smiled. Pressure was released from the blonde’s waist as the blue green eyes of her captor met her own.

“You… remembered?” puffy eyes, wide with shock were plastered on the amber haired woman’s face. Memories came flooding back in the minds of both women, tears filling their eyes.

“How could I forget?” Chuckling, the blonde pulled the short woman into another, firm, hug.



“Catch up buttercup!” Called the blonde young woman, mockingly.

“Baylee!” scolded the young amber haired girl, “I told you not to go so fast!”

“I told you not to go so slow,” Baylee snorted, walking backwards. The face of the amber haired girl contorted into a mild sneer, eyes rolling in their sockets. “I just… don’t wanna be late. You know how much I don’t like that Austin,” Walking  forward again, Baylee seemed to slow down.

“I know…” Austin jogged to catch up, “ everything ok with your mom? She didn’t seem to like that you joined me for coffee.”

“Yeah, it’s fine. Mom’s a pain in the neck, but I get by,” Baylee mumbled, “ Thanks for inviting me to go out for breakfast.”

“No problem! It’s a good way to start the day. Knowing your mom you don’t get a good brea-” Austin bit her tongue seeing Baylee’s face sink. “Sorry.”

The two walked silently for awhile. “Don’t be sorry,” Baylee grumbled.

“No, really that was insensitive of me. I’m sorry,” Austin frantically tried to apologize.

“You’ve done enough, I forgive you, lets just drop the subject,” Baylie snapped. Austin held back to need to say “I’m sorry” another time. Tears welled in Baylee’s eyes. After walking again for a long while, with silence dragging like the girls feet, the two arrived near the coffee shop. “I would like to pay for my own coffee.”

“Baylee, We had an agreement: You join me for coffee and I pay for it,” Austin pleaded.

“Why, out of pity? Because ‘Oh she’s so poor, she can’t even get a coffee!’” Baylee’s mood swung again. “You’re part of the reason I’m in this mess!” Austin reeled back, freighted at the sudden change in mood.

“I just wanted to get you a coffee. Ya’ know, cuz I think you’re cool and sweet, and i wanted to take you out for a treat. You’ve helped me at school and with my own problems it’s only fair that I do something in return,” Pleading, and panting, Austin tried to be level headed.

“Then Stop!” Baylee’s eyes were clasped shut. Before Austin could do anything, Baylee leaned against the wall and slid down. Her eyes rested on her knees and she cried. Austin wanted nothing more than to pat her on the back, and to say ‘it's ok’, but she simply sat down next to her. A few people walked by, giving awkward glances but Austin still just sat there.

“W-why don't you just… le-leave me be..?” Baylie sputtered

“Because, try as you might, you can't get rid of me.” Austin mumbled supportively.

“I’m sorry…” Baylee hiccuped, “You-r-re t-the ni- nicest person… I-I’ve ever met an- and…”

“Shhhh….” Austin cautiously rubbed Baylee’s back, trying her hardest be comforting. “Do you wanna just, go inside, get some coffee, and talk it out?” Baylee lifted her head and nodded. After helping her up, Austin took Baylee into the coffee shop. They walked to the counter and told their orders to the barista. “Can you go save our table?” Another nod from Baylee.

Austin gave the barista the money plus a handsome tip for dealing with an emotional Baylee. “Thank you. Your coffee with be done shortly,” the barista smiled. Austin grabbed a few sugar packets from the counter and walked over to Baylee, who had chosen a lovely booth next to one of the large windows. Baylee don’t seem phased as Austin sat down.

“Again, I’m sorry for snapping at you…” Baylee sniffled, and stared blankly out the window. “I just… I’m just not used to other people being nice to me.” Austin tore one of the sugar packets and poured it straight into her mouth, sucking on the granules of sugar. “You’re really nice, and trusting, and smart, and I think you’re really pretty and every part of you makes me love hanging around you,” Austin felt her mouth go dry after swallowing the mixture of spit and Pure Cane Sugar.

“You’re so confident and open, everyone likes you. I really like you,” the color drained from Austin’s face. The way Baylee said it. Every dot connected in Austin’s mind and she felt tears well in her eyes.

“Oh… my… Baylee… I’m so sorry” Austin dropped the sugar packets and held her hands over her mouth. The fear of rejection began to burn in Baylee’s mind.

“Sorry I mentioned i-” Austin cut her off after reaching across the table and hugging Baylee tightly.

“I’m sorry,” Austin’s voice was muffled in Baylee’s shoulder, and after a moment of mumbling apologies and rambling, Austin pulled out of the hug. She kept a firm grasp on Baylee’s shoulders. “Do you mean what I think you mean or am I over thinking it?” Austin begged.

“Um… I’m sure… but if you're uncomfortable-” Baylee said.

“As long as we can stay friends, you needn't worry. Are you… okay with this?” Austin tried to stay calm, but her body felt like putty held up by chopsticks. Baylee grinned nervously.

“How’s this-” Baylee leaned in and gently kissed Austin, whose hands fell from Baylee’s shoulders to the table. Austin felt her chest flutter and every part of her body relax. For just a moment the two had no worry, no pain, just each other. After a moment she left the kiss.”-for okay with this.”


The two women grinned at each other after recalling the memory.

“I remember that…” the red haired woman said, brushing loose hair from her face. “I wish I had told you how much that meant to me… how much you meant to me. I took it for granted… now…”

“Austin, it's not your fault…” as the blond woman spoke, she cupped the red haired woman's cheeks making small circles with her thumbs. Her a thought… a memory gnawed at her mind.

“I could’ve told you… how much you meant to me… how much I valued your time,” Austin mumbled.

“Like anyone could have known you we didn't have time,”



Cool night air filled Baylee’s lungs as she sighed. She walked up to her porch step, swiveling around to see Austin blow a nervous kiss. She blew one back and then waved. Turning again to face the door, her stomach tightened. Her backpack felt heavier, and an inkling of unknown origin rose in her brain. She slid her key into the door and opened it.

She was met with the sight of her mother, drunk, standing in the middle of the entry way. Eyes burning like cinders and hands placed firmly on her hips. “Don't you have anything to tell me?” Baylee’s mother said in an accusing manner.

“I fear I have no information to satisfy you mother,” Baylee stated professionally. She walked to the couch, tossing her bag on it. “I went with Austin to breakfast, picked up. My bag, went to school, and then went with Austin to the library to study. Nothing more nothing less.”

“Are you sure?” Her mother nagged with slurred speech.

“Not that I recall,” Baylee retorted fearlessly. She marched from the living room to the kitchen. The kitchen that reeked of alcohol and salt, making Baylee scowl. She continued to the fridge, disregarding the fact her mother loomed over her. After careful examination Baylee decided on chicken soup for the dinner of the night. “Chicken soup alright ma’?” Baylee asked, politely with a grain of salt.

“It's fine,” Baylee’s mother gritted her teeth.

“Then so be it,” taking day old rotisserie chicken, celery (a gift from the sweet woman next door), and some half eaten butter noodles, Baylee began. She laid out the celery and walked to the sink to get a knife and pot, along with swiping the chicken stock from the dingy cabinet. She cleaned out the pot and scrubbed muck of the knife, delivering them to the cutting board.

A shiver danced down Baylee’s arms and spine. She quickly closed the open window near the fridge before catching a glimpse at the space heater running in the living room. “Mom!” She scolded, stomping over to the space heater and slamming the off button. She stamped back to the kitchen and glared at her mother. She positioned herself at the cutting board with celery.

“Why do you care,” Baylee stopped all motion as she heard this.

"I dunno, maybe it's because last month's power bill made it so we had a hard time putting food on the table and paying other bills!" Baylee's voice slowly raised and her chopping got faster before a long exhale. Her mother was speechless.

"How dare you-" Her mother started
 
"Dare I what! How dare I make dinner, and clean the dishes and all the household chores AND manage to keep an A in all my classes so I might get a scholarship because your job of drinking and waiting for checks can't afford coffee let alone a future.!" Her eyes were heavy with tears that refused to fall. She bellowed, pouring chicken stock haphazardly into the pot. "How dare I try to improve our poor lifestyle."

 Her mother gasped and seemingly growled at her daughter with total rage.  Baylie walked to the sink and washed  her hands of celery before she grabbed the towel off the oven door and dried her hands off. She placed the greasy  towel a little too close to the gas stove. It hug in a pan of bacon fat.  

"Oh really you do all the work! I do-" Baylee’s mother paused to ponder what her purpose to the household was. "I pay for the house! I pay for the roof you live under young lady!"

"Pfft hardly. Don't think you let the junk mail slip past me," Baylie said to herself quietly beginning to chop up chicken after throwing the celery in chicken stock.


The towel lit



“Baylee? Are you alright?” Baylee shook from her daze.

“Yeah… I’m fine…” She looked downcast with teary eyes.

“You know it’s not your fault either,” Austin looked up at Baylee, pressing her hand on Baylee’s cheek and adjusting her view to meet hers.

“I wish it was, I wish I could have said I was the problem and that I was fixed,” Her hand covered Austin's and pressed it to her cheek as she spoke, “but I’m not the problem. The problem is still out there, ruining something else… not paying for what
She did to me. What she did to everyone.” She stroked Austin’s hand while her teeth gritted within her cheeks.



Fire trickled down the towel until it popped into a ball of flame that was overlooked due to the argument. Venom was spat between the two women, oblivious until-

“BAYLEE WHY THE HELL’S THE STOVE ON FIRE?!” Baylee’s mom practically screamed. She rushed to the sink and grabbed a cup full of horrid looking water. She sloshed it over the fire that went on to explode little droplets of fire onto the walls. In a desperate attempt to protect her face, Baylee’s forearms rushed to black the attack. Small, fiery drops landed on her bare skin, stinging and immediately starting to form blisters.

“MOM!” Baylee swiped drops of fire from her arms, hands stinging. “WHY ARE YOU SO IDIOTIC?! YOU DON’T PUT OUT A GREASE FIRE WITH WATER!” Baylee scrambled to find a plate to suffocate the flames.

“NOW’S NOT THE TIME TO BE A SMARTASS, BAYLEE!” Pushing her daughter Baylee’s mom rushed around with no direction.

“CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT OR SOMETHING!” Baylee begged trying to get up.

“WHY DON’T YOU RESPECT ME?! WHY DO YOU ACT LIKE YOU’RE ALWAYS RIGHT!” Baylee’s mother pressed her daughter to the ground by her neck and chest.

“Mom- T-tHIS Isn’T AbOUt SmARTs oR POwer-” Baylee choked on smoke though her restricted windpipe. She shoved her mom off of her. “IT’S ABOUT LIFE OR DEATH!” Baylee’s mother hit her daughter firmly in the head, knocking her out. everything was black.


Hot salty tears fell down Baylee’s cheeks. “It hurt so much…”

“Baylee?”

“Everything hurt, it burned, I couldn’t breath. My mother got out Scott-free and I was left there!” Baylee Was slumped down and sobbed into Austin’s shoulder. “Left to die!”

“Baylie! That’s all over now, we’re free,” Austin was trying not to cry herself. “Everything’s ok.”


Austin’s feet crunched along the black charred floor. Just last night this would have been the living room to the beautiful suburban home. She looked around at warped door ways and windowsills, some even still had glass… most was shattered though. She walked around, coming to a doorway. The doorway was the one that would have been to Baylee’s room.

She tapped the frame lightly. “Can I come in?” Austin asked, shakily. She waited for an answer, though all she got was a howl from the wind through the desolate, broken walls. She sighed and walked through the doorway despite the lack of walls around it. “Sorry,” she apologized for entreating.

A few slivers of pink patterned wall paper still laid on the walls. It looked like a bomb had gone off in the room leaving a post-apocalyptic, Plutonian bedroom. The only furniture that remained was a bent lamppost and a bastardized bed frame. With mournful eyes, Austin noticed a curious little box beneath the bed. She exhaled.

“Sorry… again,” she said, kneeling down and reaching under the bed, and grabbing the box. It was heavy, made of a thick metal. “Guess that's why it survived… but why didn’t they get it?” Austin took note of the melted metal on the floor. “And there’s the lock.”

She felt horrible as she opened the box. She delicately opened moved napkins, setting them aside to re-examine later. She found a familiar plastic ring. She remembered winning it with Baylee. Tears overflowed blurring her vision. She put it back and picked up one of the napkins.

It read:
 Welcome to the Austin box. If you’re reading this,
  you’re probably austin. I wrote this when I made
 The Box so I don’t yet know what's in it. Well I
 know the ring is in here. Do you remember it?
 Well I’m running out of space on the napkin.
             Love you
                    -Baylee

Austin cried at she read this. Her tears smeared the writing on the napkin slightly. She grabbed the ring and slid it on her ring finger. “I’m so sorry,” she repeated over and over. Rocking back and forth.



Austin was crying now too. She felt the plastic ring on her finger and slid it with her thumb. She held Baylee’s right hand out and slid it on.

“For an eternity…” she whispered. The two clung together like it was just them, forever.






5 comments:

  1. This was really good! I loved the eerier storyline and plot. One suggestion though; be careful when you're describing your scenes, it could turn into purple prose.
    Good job! I'm looking forward to reading more of your works in the future!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! And seriously thanks for the purple prose advice, if it hadn't been pointed out I would have never noticed, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...just wow. its a very good and interesting story! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the story its just great

    ReplyDelete
  5. this story was great

    ReplyDelete